+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: CA Automotive jet fighter day (pics)

Default CA Automotive jet fighter day (pics)

Despite the horrible weather, top marks to Bruntinthorpe and CA Automotive for providing entertainment for a gloomy day. The crowd was excellent and the show was great too.

Many events did not go ahead due to the trecharous conditions, but the are always a good bunch of loonies who will go all out, come rain, come shine.

Some usual suspects. CA's bionic bannana and Giv's E39. My diesel and Birds brought along their tuned 335i.

Roy being a star he always is, offered free 160MPH rides to kids. If a supercharged E46 M3 is to disintegrate, it will not have survived what Roy did to his bionic bannana today. This car is a testament how reliable supercharging has become compared to the days when I was looking into aftermarket forced induction for my 330ci.

The plan was to race a Lightning jet head to head down a 2 mile runway. The pilot gave a demo of what a 40 year old Lightning jet could do. I've never been that close to a fighter jet with both afterburners lit. That noise!! Formula One is nothing compared to this!

Roy contemplated hard bearing in mind what his M3 would turn into if he failed to out accelerate the Lightning ........ a gush of jet blast? ......... YEAH RIGHT! ........ HELL NO

So a softer option was chosen, a Hunter single engined jet.

The grid.

The flag dropped ......

Whooooooaaaaaaa! ........

The bionic bannana topped out at 185MPH ....... in the wet!

What a sight! What a noise! Truely memorable
    Last edited by peppernick; 27-05-2007 at 07:43 PM.

07 W209 Kleemann CLK350
    09 W212 E500 Sport

awesome pics mate!

now for pauls pics and the video clips!

BTW....are you trouser dry now? LOL

looks like it was a great day... sucks i missed it...!

pitty about the weather though...

so who won???

What a day!!!!!!

The weather was shit but it didn't dampen our day. Upon our arrival to Brunty, said hi to Roy and he promptly asked if i wanted to have a spin in the banana, but, not as a passenger . Well, what was I supposed to say????

So, off I go, very heavy clutch is my first impression, feels more like a brake pedal, but with 525bhp on tap you have to compromise on creature comforts .

So, I pull away in first and keep it easy and grab second - then nail it. OMFG!!! At 6krpm it just goes psychotic and pulls so so hard. Spinning the tyres in second, grab third and spinning the tyres again, was spinning up at 110mph. After my first sprint I stopped and Alex (Zarnd) got in the passenger seat. His first two words as I booted it were "f****** h***". We got to around 145mph but the standing water was causing the car to drift around a bit and as it wasn't mine we called it a day - cheers Roy, she is immense mate, hell of a car .

Also went out with Giv in the 540i and had fun trying to melt a set of new rear falken 452s, he done well .

It was very undecided if, due to the terrible weather if the race against the lightening jet would happen. Indeed, it was decided that the lightening wouldn't actually be the jet used but instead a Hunter, so, we stayed content with watching Roy give various passenger laps to a few lucky individuals. All got out of the car after it had performed a series of donuts and high speed runs with a very broad grin .

In between this there were several jets, both passenger and military performing demo runs up and down the runway.

I honestly cannot convey how incredibly loud they are when the jet engines really crank up, the lightening jet was actually incredibly painful to listen to, certainly the most intense noise I have EVER experianced - now I know why there were so many spectators with ear defenders .

A few of the planes in attendance, most of the planes were shot on video, but I am sure that Nick has a few superb stills.

This was stupid stupid loud, really hurt my ears .

No idea what this is but pretty civilised compared to the lightening above

I thought this was in for breaking up !!

The banana taking a rest

Roy launching the car

And then suddenly we have word that the race IS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!
    Suddenly it is in with Alex's headrest cam and get to mid point of the straight to set up still and video cameras but before we know it they are on their way . Alex had only just put the vid camera on the tripod and had no time to even press record. I only managed to grab my Nikon and take four shots. As the banana passed our point it was reading 160mph!!! It was hitting a terminal speed of 180mph before braking which is insane in the conditions, all credit to David who was driving the banana.

First run where I could only take the four shots

Returning to the start of the straight

Suddenly Roy rings me and tells me they are running again, this time we can prepare ourselves - phew

These are the second and final run shots I took

Returning to the start

What a day . Huge thanks to Roy for trusting me with the car - it is a hell of a car, stunningly quick and a real priviledge to drive . Hopefully this will will happen again at some future time when we get a dry day .

P.S. Hope my pics are okay as this is the first time I have had to use an SLR quickly and instinctively due to the speeds being attained .
    Last edited by mystic sport; 27-05-2007 at 08:21 PM.

stunning pics from you to Paul

Glad to meet all of you..(Roy, Giv, Paul, Nick, Alex and Danch)
    David's driving was amazing! 185mph in the wet!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dibberly
    so who won???
    I know that on the first run the banana won - David confirmed that. On the second run the jet got the jump on the car as David just couldn't hook up tyres, not sure if the jet won the second race .

Quote Originally Posted by mystic sport
    I know that on the first run the banana won - David confirmed that. On the second run the jet got the jump on the car as David just couldn't hook up tyres, not sure if the jet won the second race .
    Think the jet just got the edge on the 2nd run. David had problems with traction i think.

Same old story, blob thinking the weather's sh_t, nothing will happen........
    kids are taken on fun runs, jets are fired up and the race goes ahead.
    it may have been shi_t weather but looks like a great day for all !!

Looked like a great day out, shame the weather sucked! Was any TV crew there?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information